Answered By: Web Master Last Updated: Nov 17, 2015 Views: 355
By legislative act of January 28, 1861, the cadets at The Arsenal in Columbia and The Citadel in Charleston were made part of the military organization of the State of South Carolina. They were known as the Battalion of State Cadets and participated in the following engagements from 1861 to 1865. As a result of these services, The Citadel is authorized to carry nine battle streamers:
1. Confederate States Army (larger gray).
2. Star of the West, January 9, 1861.
3. Wappoo Cut, November 1861.
4. James Island, June 1862.
5. Charleston and Vicinity, July-October 1863.
6. James Island, June 1864.
7. Tulifinny, December 1864.
8. James Island, December 1864-February 1865.
9. Williamston, May 1865.
(Sources: General Orders No. 3, Office of the Attorney General, Columbia, S.C., October 26, 1942; Oliver J. Bond, The Story of The Citadel, pp. 55-56. U430 .S57)