Answered By: Marie Rose
Last Updated: Nov 17, 2015     Views: 31

In 1910 the South Carolina legislature enacted a law to establish the official name of The Citadel. The text of the law is:

"No. 352. An Act to Change the Name of the South Carolina Military Academy to 'The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina.' Section 1. Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina, that the name of the South Carolina Military Academy be, and the same is hereby, changed to 'The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina.' Section 2. That all Acts and part of Acts inconsistent with the provisions of this Act be, and they are hereby, repealed. Approved the 25th day of February, A.D. 1910." The word "The" in the official name is capitalized twice. (Source: Act no. 352, South Carolina, Acts and Joint Resolutions of the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina, 1910, p. 684.

Related Topics

Contact Us

Chat:
 

 

 

Email: reference@citadel.edu

Call: 843.953.2569

Fax: 843.953.8446

Text: 843.605.4536

Meet: Schedule a Research Consultation

Follow: Facebook / Twitter

See: InstagramFlickr