Answered By: Marie Rose
Last Updated: Nov 17, 2015     Views: 31

September 1, 1906-October 27, 1983. Class of 1929. As a cadet, he played varsity football and basketball and was editor of the campus newspaper, the Bull Dog. Business executive. Chairman and CEO, Daniel International Corporation, 1964-1977. The Citadel Library is named after him and his brother, Charles E. Daniel. Paintings of both brothers hang in the foyer of the Daniel Library. In 1957 The Citadel awarded him an Honorary Doctor of Science degree. During World War II, he had the rank of lieutenant commander in the navy. He and his brother erected the carillon in 1954 which they named after Thomas Dry Howie, a classmate of R. Hugh. In 1972, he gave the Daniel Building in Greenville to The Citadel. At 25 stories, it was the highest building in the state. At the time, it was the largest gift made to any college or university in the United States. In 1980 it was sold for $16 million, ensuring the future of the Citadel Development Foundation. He and his brother, Charles Ezra Daniel, also donated $50,000 in 1957 to endow two scholarships. (Source: Alumni record, Citadel Records Management Department)

Contact Us

Chat:
 

 

 

Email: reference@citadel.edu

Call: 843.953.2569

Fax: 843.953.8446

Text: 843.605.4536

Meet: Schedule a Research Consultation

Follow: Facebook / Twitter

See: InstagramFlickr