Answered By: Marie Rose Last Updated: Nov 17, 2015 Views: 55
There are five outside gates on campus:
1. Lesesne Gate. This is the main gate at the end of Moultrie. They were erected in 1955. The pedestrian gates were made from window grilles constructed at the 19th century Werner Ironworks.
2. Summerall Gate. End of Jenkins Avenue. It is also called North Gate. The Summerall gates were made by combining Sword Gate window grilles. They were made in the 1830s by Charleston Ironsmith, Christopher Werner for the guard house that once stood at Broad and Meeting Streets. After the 1886 earthquake destroyed the building the gates were sold. The gate went to 32 Legare Street becoming the famous Sword Gates. The window grilles were later bought by The Citadel. When General Summerall retired these gates were taken to his estate, Whitehall. The general's shields indicating his rank and initials were then added. After his death the gates were returned to The Citadel and erected in their present location.
3. Hagood Street Gate. It is not far from the stadium.
4. Dunnemann Gate. On Dunnemann Avenue next to Dunnemann Apartment Building. It is normally locked.
5. The gate behind the chapel has no name. There are also gates on the barracks and interior gates. The gate on the old Padgett-Thomas barracks was originally installed at the old state arsenal in Charleston in 1829. This became part of The Citadel in 1842.
(Sources include: Karen Amrhine, "Ironwork Secures The Citadel," News and Courier, March 21, 1976, p 1E)