Answered By: Marie Rose Last Updated: Nov 17, 2015 Views: 184
This gate is the main access to The Citadel. It is located at the southeast section of The Citadel campus at the end of Moultrie Street. Named in honor of Thomas Pettigru Lesesne, Class of 1901, who was instrumental in moving The Citadel to its present location. The gates were made by the Carolina Iron and Fence Co., designed by Lockwood-Greene Co., and erected in 1955. The two pedestrian gates were made from leftover windows that were removed from the east end of Alumni Hallwhen it was joined to LeTellier Hall. These were the famous sword windows of the old Citadel. They were made by Christopher Werner in 1830. Werner was the same person who made the famous sword gates at 31 Legare Street in Charleston.