Answered By: Marie Rose
Last Updated: Nov 17, 2015     Views: 81

The M4A4 Sherman has a 75 mm short gun. It was presented to The Citadel on September 15, 1956. Col. Statler (d. 1967), a former English professor here, drove the tank to The Citadel. The tank used to be painted pink or some other color by cadets before a big weekend. (Source: Cadet Horace Greeley IV, Class of 1957) General Clark did not seem to mind. He said that he had more paint than they had. It was last painted in the 1970s. Before the engines were rendered inoperable, some cadets actually put gasoline in the tank and drove it in Charleston where they stranded it. For many years it was located at the southwest corner of the Parade Ground. It is now located near the northwest corner. The site is officially referred to as the Army Memorial. The actual inscription at the site reads as follows: "'Thunderbolt' This M4 Sherman Tank is similar to that used by LTC Creighton W. Abrams in World War II while commanding the 37th Tank Battalion - 4th Armored Division - Patton's Third Army. General Abrams was Army Chief of Staff from October 12, 1972 until his death on Septemebr 4, 1974. Donated by those who learned from his dynamic leadership. 'Courage Conquers' 37th Armor." (Source: Pamela C. Banas, AROTC) 

Related Topics

Contact Us

Chat:
 

 

 

Email: reference@citadel.edu

Call: 843.953.2569

Fax: 843.953.8446

Text: 843.605.4536

Meet: Schedule a Research Consultation

Follow: Facebook / Twitter

See: InstagramFlickr