Answered By: Marie Rose Last Updated: Aug 10, 2016 Views: 33
On November 21, 1997, the Rare Book Room of the Daniel Library was renamed the William F. Prioleau Reading Room. It is still the main repository for rare books, but now they are kept in locked cabinets and the room is available for reading or studying. Formerly, the room was locked because the rare books were often in unlocked cabinets or on open shelves. Col. Thomas Vandiver, Class of 1929, provided the funds for the remodeling of the room.