Answered By: Web Master Last Updated: Nov 17, 2015 Views: 83
The Citadel Pipe Band was established by General Mark W. Clark in 1955. The first director of the Pipe Band was Chief Warrant Officer Millard J. Crary, 1955-1960. He was succeeded by Ludovic J. Grant-Alexander, 1960-1978; Capt. Norval B. ("Sandy") Jones, U.S.M.C., 1978-2003; and Capt. Jim Dillahey, 2003- .
From 1956 until 1981, the bagpipers wore the Royal Stuart tartan. In 1981, the bagpipers wore The Citadel's own tartan. The bagpipers are depicted on a mural in the Daniel Library.
(Source: Dennis D. Nicholson, Jr., A History of The Citadel: The Years of Summerall and Clark, p. 326. U430.C5 N53 1994)