Answered By: Web Master Last Updated: Mar 14, 2016 Views: 93
Home of The Citadel Bulldogs. It is named for Brigadier General Johnson Hagood, C.S.A., class of 1847 and Chairman of the Board of Visitors, 1877-1898. It cost $600,000 to build, the cost being shared equally by The Citadel and the City of Charleston. It seats 22,500 people, the largest stadium in the Southern Conference. Its largest crowd was 23,025, who attended the game against Marshall University on October 17, 1992. In 1997, the end bleachers were removed, lowering the seating capacity to 21,000.
In 2002 Gene Moore, III, Citadel Class of 1950, donated the sum of $1 million to contribute to renovation of the facility. In 2001 the Altman Athletic Center was constructed at the south end of the stadium. Click Altman Center. In 2004 the west stands were torn down, and a plan was put in motion to modernize it and increase the seating capacity to 22,000. Work was expected to be complete in time for the fall 2006 season.
Johnson Hagood Stadium was erected in 1948 over the site of Charleston's 19th-century mariner-military graveyard. Charleston City Council gave permission to the contractor to remove all graves from the site. However, only the headstones were in fact removed. Thirteen graves were found on the site in 1993. In 1999 the remains of the first crew of the H. L. Hunley submarine were disinterred and reburied in Magnolia Cemetery. In 2004 The Citadel decided that all graves of soldiers and sailors should be removed, and efforts were made to contact relatives of those buried on the site.
(Sources: "Council Approves Changes in Plans for New Stadium," Bull Dog, November 7, 1947, p. 1; "Construction for Stadium To Begin in Near Future," Bull Dog, February 6, 1948, p. 1; "New Stadium Construction," Bull Dog, June 4, 1948, p. 3; "Homecoming Day To Feature Class Reunions and Stadium Dedication," Bull Dog, December 3, 1948, p. 1; Jeff Hartwel, "Citadel Aims Toward New Stadium in 2002," Post and Courier, December 10, 1998, pp. 1-C, 4-C; Adam Ferrell, "Citadel May Soon Move Bones From Stadium Site," Post and Courier, May 26, 2004, p. 1B; Denishia Graham, "Stadium Dig Unearths More Confederate Graves," Post and Courier, June 6, 2004, pp. 1B, 6B; Schuyler Kropf, "Grave Excavations TEll Tales of Past Traditions," Post and Courier, June 29, 2004, p. 1A; Seanna Adcox, "Citadel Stadium Plan Advances," Post and Courier, June 5, 2004, p. 1B; Bull Dog, November 7, 1947, Feb. 6, 1948, and Dec. 3, 1948; "Moore Gives Citadel $1 Million for Stadium," Post and Courier, Nov. 10, 2002, p. 1A; Jeff Hartsell, "Citadel to Keep Home at Hagood," Post and Courier, February 5, 2005, pp. 1A, 9A; Citadel Football 2003, pp. 90-93; Denesha Graham, "Mass Funeral Recognizes 21 Fallen Confederates," Post and Courier, March 6, 2005, pp. 1B, 7B)