Answered By: Marie Rose Last Updated: Nov 17, 2015 Views: 79
The monument is installed on the walkway between Bond Hall and the central flagpole, is a result of the joint efforts of the Charleston Civil War Centennial Commission and the Class of 1961. The Class of 1961 donated $500 toward the monument as their class gift to the college. The ballance of the cost, $2,122.12 was raised by a committee headed by George E. Campsen Jr, Class of 1951.
The granite monumnent, which faces Bond Hall, contains a bronze plaque designed by Mr. Arthur Street, artist for the local Charleston newspapers. The plaque depicts the action of Citadel Cadets against the Federal supply ship on January 9, 1861.
While honoring the cadet who fired on the Star of the West, it is also dedicated to the memory of all men of The Citadel who have fought and died with honor in defense of their ideals.
(Source: Alumni News, Vol 19, No. 1, September 1961, p3)